My Photo
Name:
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States

This blog is a record of events in the life of Joseph Taggart and his family since his spinal cord injury while body surfing in Guatemala in January 2006.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

THE HOMECOMING! -- 4/25/06

He's BACK! Late yesterday afternoon Joseph hitched a ride with his friends Kasey and Kris from LDS Hospital and returned home at last. He comes with renewed infections but looking forward to being in a less contaminated environment and getting better fast. He feels great, looks great and IS great. He was able to return with a wheelchair, bed, commode/shower chair and lift all loaners until the ones we have requested come. Insurance has declined the commode/shower chair and lift already. We'll appeal, but we'll purchase anyway, even if the insurance doesn't (thanks to all the donations). We set up a bedroom in the former dining area of the family room, using empty bookcases as privacy dividers. It works pretty well.
Last Saturday after seeing the photos on the 4/19 Blog of the black sand removed by Dad from Joseph's ears, Gretchen said I've got to have a look in there. . . Dad caught her photo after looking in his ear. She said: "Oh my gosh, it looks like caviar!" They scheduled an appointment with the audiologist to rinse out his ears. On Monday the doctor spent 45 minutes rinsing. He got lots of sand out, but ended up leaving a half dozen grains in each ear that refused to budge. Dad will still be looking keeping track of the record when the last grain of sand appears.



Yesterday's farewells with the hospital staff was poignant, with hugs all around. They've all become part of the family in the last three months. Katie is about to have her baby, Barb is recovering from an auto accident, our prayers are with them all.

The Home:
The home is coming! The plastering was fininshed on Saturday and sanded on Monday. The garage floor got painted over the weekend and looks great. The tile people came and got started putting in the tile in Joseph's shower/toilet yesterday. This morning the people from Hallmark Cabinets came to install the new custom built section of kitchen cabinets for Joseph. Doug Miles is here installing the air conditioning unit and last but not least Dustin Bowers (one of our EBM missionaries) is coming to install new counter top on the old but repainted kitchen cabinets and on the new cabinets as well. There is a lot of activity for Joseph's first day home!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! It is very exciting to watch all the progress from here in Oregon. I am amazed, but not surprised, at all the blessings so evident in all that has transpired in the last few months. And kudos to all those wonderful people who have come out of the woodwork to help so willingly! It is miraculous!!!! My husband and I pray for you each day.

Much love,

Jenelle

Apr 26, 2006, 2:28:00 PM  
Blogger Stephanie (Record) Davis said...

YEAH!!!! How exciting to finally be home!! I will come and visit once your settled and the excitement has died down! Congratulations!

Apr 26, 2006, 2:29:00 PM  
Blogger rach said...

Congratulations! I am sure it feels good to be home again at last! It looks like things are coming together and so many people are their to give you support and help!

Love ya!
Rach

Apr 26, 2006, 4:44:00 PM  
Blogger Chrissie said...

Well done Joe on getting home at last!! YEY!!

Stupid insurance people. A hex be upon them (LOL!)

Apr 26, 2006, 5:34:00 PM  
Blogger Gym Rat said...

Oh! Was it Tuesday already??!! I can't believe how the time flies! I will get over there tomorrow to visit you...I didn't get this read luntil l9:15 on Wednesday. Can't wait to see you again. Hugs,

Apr 26, 2006, 9:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you made it home! Will be so quiet tomorrow, Friday, (my first day back since your leaving)without you and Matt to harrass me . When I walk by 81 and you are gone, I won't know what to do with myself. With all my 19 years of taking care of young men with SCI, I don't think I've had one quite like you! You have been such a unique, uplifting, and inspirational gift to me. You made me realize every day why I come to work and love what I do. I wish you well and hope you know you can call with any questions (or if Matt needs a date!) Love ya.

Apr 27, 2006, 12:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey! just a note to say HOWDY and hope all is going well...thinking of you guys every day.
is quiet here..maybe I should make some kind of ruckus...hehe
wish you well...hugs to everyone
Joe you are an amazing person..it's an honor to have spent time with you and your family!
love you guys! Kris

May 1, 2006, 12:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page